Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Zombie Self Portrait

In the spirit of Halloween the 3rd graders created these zombiefied self portraits.
The students were not too excited when I told them that we were going to do a self portrait, then I sprung the zombie aspect on them and they got really excited!







Picasso Value Scale

For this project we talked a little about Picasso and cubism.  I had them draw a guitar from one I had in my room.  We then separated the body with 3 lines, the neck with 2 and the Headstock 2 lines.  This separated it pretty nice.  We then discussed value scales and the students then colored their guitars any color.  After they were colored we talked about complementary colors and then drew 3 lines in the background to separate the background and then used the value scale of the complementary color of the guitar. They all turned out pretty successful.








WIP's

Here are a few WIP's (works in progress) for my art club students for their ceiling tiles. They are on their way to being great!



Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Mascot Collages

I have started an Art club with the 6th grade students and in order to raise some money we created these mascot collages for teachers NEU colleges.  Its was a great way to raise some money for the art club and they look great in the hall.  They were all created with Magazines  I created the Notre Dame one last year in my class with some students from my 7th grade class and never posted it and thought I would give those students come credit (even though its a year late)







Sunday, October 6, 2013

Shading Pratice

I am working with gray scales with the 5th grade and I always tell them that if they master this technique that they will be on their way to being a great artist.  Its just that I always dont apply it to something they are interested in.  For this project I wanted to make them really involved with trying to better themselves so I drew out a picture of Batman using shading techniques and made copies for all the students, then I gave them an outline of the picture and had them attempt their own gray scale.  The students really enjoyed this and were pretty pumped to be working on Batman.






Piranhas

So this project has been floating around Pintrest a while and I thought I would give it a try.  The hardest part of this project is having the students fold the paper correctly, for this to work I used rulers and had the students measure out where to fold to, this made it much easier.  I like not telling the students exactly what I am doing with them so they get a surprise, so we started with drawing out the small fish and then we opened it up to make the Piranha, I showed them a finished project and the students then got real excited.