Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Abstract Art

This is a project that I do with the students that I have based off of my own ART WORK .  I know that is a little conceded but the students like it and I get great results.  For this project we first look at my work, I usually bring in a piece for them to view.  We discuss what abstract art is and what it is not.  I have examples from Jackson Pollock and DeKooning to show off to students.  I explain that they are not trying to make something rather go with their feelings on what colors go where.
To start this project we use transparencies that are usually used for over head projectors (I also cut them in half so its about 5x8).  I have the students coat the whole thing in rubbing alcohol with a paper towel.  After that the students use Alcohol  Ink and drip it on top of the transparency.  I dont have the students touch or manipulate the ink once its on the paper.  For extra help with mixing the ink you can add more rubbing alcohol on top of the ink that will get it to move or use alcohol solution, that will also let the ink "dance"
This process only takes about 5-10 min to dry and I have the students do about 3-5 of these.  After all of the art has dried I have the students layer their ink papers on top of one another to have the students get a good composition.  We talk about what makes a good composition and what doesn't, we also talk about what Feels right and why it is successful one way compared to another.  After they have chosen they way they want it displayed we put it behind white paper and put a mat up around it.  They really brighten up a hall way.
There are some easy cross curricular activities to go with this project, if you need any ideas please feel free to contact me.










22 comments:

  1. Nice! I just used transparencies as part of a drawing lesson (on top of photos to identify and outline shapes) so I have some on hand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are beautiful! I would call this non-objective art, rather than abstract:-) I can't wait to try this with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of ink do you use? water or alcohol? Thaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are stunning! I've used the same process on tiles, but I love this using layers of transparency paper. Can you give me an idea of how much ink to buy? Which brand did you use? Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use adironadack ink from hobby lobby and its $10 a 3 pack and I would suggest 1 bottle for every 3 students

      Delete
  5. I'd love to try this at the high school level! I'd also like to know what brand of ink:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this ink on the expensive side? I work with elementary children through 5th grade. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, they are pretty expensive, $10 for 3 bottles, though they do last pretty long and you do not need a lot of it to make it look good. The main thing to talk with the students about it control. Also using rubbing alcohol to spread it around will save some money. I would suggest 1 bottle for every 3 students to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you glue each transparency to each other or does it just stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually just get clear tape and tape each corner, this way if the student changes their mind they are able to remove the transparency without difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what grade do you usually teach this to?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can do this with just about any age, but I prefer 4h grade and up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so doing this with my art club, I will let you know how it turns out!
    www.artroomblog.blogspot.com
    thanks,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee, Good luck I Hope it goes great, I can't wait to see your students work

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Love these! We tried these today, but the inks didn't seem to be spreading very well on the surface of the transparency. How much rubbing alcohol do you have them "prepare" their surface with? How much do the students manipulate the inks once on the transparency? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do a light coat, just turn the rubbing alcohol bottle over onto a paper towel and that should be enough. If they are not moving fast, once the ink is on the transparency you can drip the rubbing alcohol on top of the ink and that should get it to react and move. Also the company makes an alcohol solution that moves the ink fast too.
    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  16. what are the cross curriculum ideas? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you attach the transparencies together?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I use a thin piece of tape at the top and bottom, then I framed it in a cardboard frame.

    ReplyDelete