Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Art History Bottles

This is a new project that I attempted this year thanks to THIS blog.  I am wanting to introduce art history to the students without making it boring.  I began with giving them a list of about 20 artist for them to choose from to decide their own artist to research.  They needed to choose an artist, fine their date of birth/death-what their artistic style was-5 fun facts-and their most expensive piece sold.  They choose their favorite painting from the artist and painted them on the bottles.
Before they painted I had asked my school to bring in bottles and they did a great job.  I soaked the bottles over night and had the students help me peel off the labels, and then we used house paint and painted the bottles white.  I have about 75 students so it took a couple days just getting the labels off it was just an easy thing to keep them busy while finishing another project.
The only thing I can think of doing different is not including Keith Haring, once the students saw his work they were all jumping on doing his, I just think it was a little too easy for them.  Also I think in the future this will not be my first painting project with the students!
Over all this was a great and fun project and the students really looked forward to taking these home.






3 comments:

  1. What type of bottles did you use for this project exactly? And although I know you used white house paint for the base color. What type of paint did you have the students use for the color portion of the project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used wine bottles that the teachers helped bring in, once the bottles were primed we used acrylic and tempura paint, nothing fancy.

      Delete
  2. I love doing art history projects like this. Next time paint on old pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete